Postgraduate Managed Care Pharmacy Residency Program
WellCare's Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) Managed Care Pharmacy Residency Program develops clinically adept managed care pharmacists who can lead projects, communicate effectively and critically analyze data.
About WellCare Health Plans, Inc.
WellCare is headquartered in Tampa, FL. We are a leading provider of managed care services dedicated to government-sponsored healthcare programs, focusing on Medicaid and Medicare. Founded in 1985, our team of dedicated associates serves millions of members nationwide. The Pharmacy Department employs hundreds of full-time associates, including pharmacists specialized in benefit management and clinical services. WellCare provides specialty drug therapies for a variety of chronic diseases through Exactus Pharmacy Solutions.
WellCare’s PGY-1 Managed Care Pharmacy Residency Program is designed to prepare residents for a pharmacy career within a dynamic managed care environment. Successful completion of this program will prepare residents for clinical pharmacist positions in the following areas: prior authorizations, formulary development and management, quality initiatives, drug utilization review, medication therapy management, and specialty pharmacy operations. Upon completion, graduates will also be qualified to apply for PGY-2 residency programs and BCPS board certification.
Residents will gain proficiency in the following areas:
- Clinical Operations (prior authorizations and appeals)
- Formulary Management (benefit design and P&T committee)
- Clinical Pharmacy Programs, including MTM
- Plan Performance (Quality evaluation and clinical and financial drug utilization review)
- Pharmacy benefits management (PBM)
- Specialty pharmacy
- Residency program administration
- Fraud, waste, and abuse
An end-of-year elective rotation which can be customized to the resident’s interests is available.
During your residency, we will establish goals and objectives to match your interests and complement your previous experience. In addition to completing a yearlong research project, you will also have opportunities to:
- Present at professional pharmacy conferences (e.g. ASHP, FRC).
- Present at corporate pharmacy meetings
- Apply to participate in a resident teaching certificate program (as available through local university)
- Develop and present an ACPE-accredited CE course
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive stipend.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Paid vacation and holidays.
- Paid travel to professional conferences and meetings.
Program Details and Requirements
Duration/Type: 12-month PGY1 residency
Application Deadline: January 7
Start Date: July 1
NMS Code: 154914
What You Need
- Pharmacist degree from an ACPE-certified school or college of pharmacy
- Licensure from Florida Board of Pharmacy by the first Monday in September
- All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship now, or in the future.
Submitting Application Materials
WellCare participates in PhORCAS (Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application). All applicants should submit application materials through this web-based application tool to be considered.
Please have your completed application submitted by January 7. An application is considered complete if it contains all of the following items:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of intent.
- Three professional recommendations.
- Official university transcripts.
We require an on-site interview to WellCare Health Plans for final acceptance into our program. Applicants will be invited in February or March based upon their application materials and interview by phone or at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting & Exhibition. The interview will include a candidate presentation.
ASHP Resident Matching Program
WellCare PGY1 applicants MUST register to participate in the program. To register, visit https://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/.
WellCare's residency coordinator may be reached at:
WellCare Health Plans, Inc.