WellCare of North Carolina Will Pay for the Drugs that Medicaid Requires You to Have.
It is also important to know that WellCare of North Carolina uses a Preferred Drug List (PDL).
- The PDL is a list of drugs that we prefer your doctor use
- The drugs on the PDL are organized by brand and generic name
- Quantity, gender and age limits are also provided
- Some drugs require step therapy - the use of other drugs first before they will be approved. These are noted with an "ST" (Step Therapy)
- Some of these drugs require a review and are noted with a "PA" (Prior Authorization).
Find a drug by searching our online tool or viewing/printing a PDL
Search for a Drug
The NC Medicaid Preferred Drug List (PDL) allows NC Medicaid to obtain better prices for covered outpatient drugs through supplemental rebates. The PDL was authorized by the NC General Assembly Session Law 2009-451, Sections 10.66(a)-(d).
- Prescribers are encouraged to write prescriptions for “preferred” products.
- Prescribers may continue to write prescriptions for drugs not on the PDL.
- If a prescriber deems that the patient’s clinical status necessitates therapy with a non-preferred drug, the prescriber will be responsible for initiating a prior authorization request.
- Prior authorization requirements may be added to additional drugs in the future.
- Submit Proposed Clinical Policy Changes to the PDL
- Preferred Drug List Review Panel
Printed Preferred Drug Lists
If you need help, please call Member Services. You can reach them toll-free at 1-866-799-5318 (TTY 711).
Call us Monday–Saturday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.